Mokai Access to Iron Bark and Colenso Huts Copied from the Ruahine User Group (Private) Facebook Page. Post by Megan Dimonzantos, BCT North Island Mgr (26 January 2023)
IMPORTANT TRACK INFO FOR MOKAI AREA (COLENSO, IRONBARK, OTUKOTA)
Kia ora team. As you know, the Mokai access to the Ruahine has been successfully reopened. There are some tracks and bridges in there that are not correct on the map, and also some signage stuff to be aware of. Please see attached map and a list below of what each number means.
- This track no longer exists
- This bridge no longer exists
- Track requires realignment on maps
- This is a new track, not even marked on the maps. It’s a welcome change, as it saves a lot of time going up and down where track 1 used to be. Much quicker to and from Otukota
- There is a bridge here, not marked on the maps
- This section of track has been realigned and needs changing on the map
- There is a sign at this spot that says the track is no longer maintained and the bridge has been removed. The track it refers to is well and truly covered over now, but it looks like the sign is referring to the new track (4). Ignore the sign. I have asked DOC to remove it.
- The timings on the sign here are seriously screwed up. It took us 35 mins to get from the sign to Otukota hut (the sign says 2 hours) and we weren’t moving that quick (I had an ankle injury). I’ve asked DOC to amend the sign, but the assumption seems to have been carried over into some of the other timings.
- I’ve put this marker in the wrong spot sorry! It should be at the top of Potae! There is a sign here pointing to Waikatore Biv, which is no longer in existence. The sign needs to be changed, but I’d be keen to understand why the biv was removed, actually! Anyone know??? The sign at the Biv site suggests the removal was temporary.
- There is a sign at this point that tells hunters to unload their guns before they move onto the private property. Some muppet has scratched out the letters “un”, so it looks like it says “guns must be loaded”. Obviously, guns must be unloaded to cross the private land.
- The area here is really sparse on markers and the existing markers need a coat of paint to make them visible again. DOC are getting to this, but in the meantime, please use your GPS/phone to ensure you stay on the correct access if you need to.
This has all been submitted to DOC for correction with LINZ, but obviously won’t happen until the next map version is released.
Tony Quayle responds. Re 9. I don’t recall there ever being a sign for Waiokotore Biv near Puketaramea. At the foot of the track up to Ohutu Ridge maybe.
I believe the Waiokotore Biv was removed due to structural dampness, and you’re correct that it was announced as a temporary removal. I always believed it was DOC’s strategy at the time to just not tell anyone it was permanent…
Colenso to Iron Bark Track A post by David Middleditch (28 January 2023)
To avoid the slip before Colenso hut, we’ve cut a new section of track on the Colenso to Iron Bark hut track. It’s a 5 minute detour and safer than crossing the slip. The new track is signed and marked.
Tramp List January to July 2023
Attached is the list, however we still looking for some Tramp Organisers. Please have a look and let Sue Martin/Di Reid know if you would like to put yourself forward for this role.Trip List Jan to July 2023 V1
Leave a Reply