Mike Christie, Ranger Recreation/Historic, Manawatu.
Kia Ora RUG group,
There will be on-going hut restoration work being completed in the Ruahine Forest Park in conjunction with the BCT.
The first lot of restoration work will be done on – Hinerua Hut, A-Frame Hut, Leon Kinvig Hut and Otukota Hut:
Major hut repairs are planned for these huts. The huts will be closed during works (except for emergency shelter). Exact hut closure dates will be confirmed as soon as possible.
If you are planning to use these huts between December 2020 and March 2021, please keep yourself updated about hut availability by checking the DOC website, this forum or by contacting the Manawatu District Office. firstname.lastname@example.org
Megan Dimozantos, North Island Project Coordinator, Backcountry Trust has sent this request to tramping clubs.
Summer Paint a Hut programme – Nab your fave hut from this list! Choose hut. Fly in. Paint.
Kia ora koutu!
I have something very exciting for you all today. The Trust and respective DOC offices have kindly provided approval in principal for a bunch of hut painting projects over the summer.
Volunteer hut painting projects are great for a number of reasons:
- Great idea for community groups, or groups of mates to spend some time doing worthwhile mahi aroha in the bush.
- Easy for people who may not necessarily have the skills or knowledge for some of our bigger projects.
- Painting is an important early step in hut maintenance to ensure the longevity of the hut, so you’ll be doing your bit to save a part of our hut network
- It’s not a huge commitment, so a great way for volunteer groups to get to know Backcountry Trust and get a feel for how we work.
You get a free helicopter flight! Yeehaa! How does it work?
So this is super easy:
- Get a group of mates/colleagues together (4 is usually about right)
- Choose your fave hut from the list below and email me (be quick so you don’t miss out!)
- I’ll work with you to get the paperwork together (yeah unfortunately there’s a little bit of it, but not too much!)
- DOC provides the paint/stain through their awesome agreement with Dulux, and we fly you and the gear into the hut to get the mahi done, then fly you back out.
- You take a bunch of pics and do a wee bit of a write up for us on the job.
A lot of groups ask to stay in an extra couple of days before their helicopter pickup so they can do some hunting or tramping in the area and that’s totally fine!
Still got questions? Email me, or give me a call on 021 804044 for a korero
Megan Backcountry Trust <email@example.com
Choose a hut from the list below…
- Tarn Biv, Ruahines
- Leitch’s Hut, Whareorino Conservation Area (roof paint only)
- Sunrise Hut, Ruahines
- Blythe Hut, Ruapehu (this one also requires a re-screw of the roof)
- Rangipo Hut, Ruapehu
- Maketawa Hut, Taranaki (this one will happen in February, and is the only one that has vehicle access, so no chopper for this one unfortunately!)
- Shutes Hut, Ruahines (roof paint only)
- Mitre Flats Hut, Tararuas
- Waikuku Lodge, Aorangi Ranges
- Sutherlands Hut, Tararuas
Email me if you are keen on being involved in any of the above.
We have some other projects approved for which we’ll need some volunteers:
- Poutaki Hut (Gwavas Conservation Area) – Full restoration
- Sparrowhawk Biv (Ruahine Forest Park) – Full Restoration
- Black Birch Biv (Kaweka Forest Park) – Re-pile and a new deck
Email me if you are keen on being involved in any of the above